Thursday, August 12, 2010

DAVID BOWIE BLACK BOOK by Miles & Chris Charlesworth (Bowie Connection #2)



Bowie connection #2:

According to this Bowie biography from 1988, Bowie had compared the lighting and Brechtian atmosphere of the Station to Station tour set of 1976 to the staging of a Doors concert:

The set was very simply lit with pure white light designed by our tour manager Eric Barrett. 'It's more theatrical than 'Diamond Dogs' ever was. It's by suggestion rather than over-propping. It relies on 20th century theatre concepts of lighting and I think it comes over as being very theatrical. Whether the audiences are aware of it I don't know.'

'I wanted to use a new kind of staging and I think this staging will become one of the most important ever. It will affect every kind of rock and roll act from now on because it's the most stabilised move that I've seen in rock and roll. I've reverted to pure Brechtian theatre and I've never seen Brechtian theatre used like this since Morrison and The Doors and even then Morrison never used white light like I do. [my emphasis]'

No comments:

Post a Comment